Sunday, December 13, 2009

Slowing down so maybe someday I can go faster

It took a while to get there, but I finally made it to the gym again today - a week later.

My body in every sense feels amazing. I feel alert. Happier. Stronger. Leaner. Healthier. Dare I say, sexier?

I've been subject - rather I've subjected myself - to a wide variety of repeating injuries and muscular imbalances including my knees, back, and left shoulder. Last Wednesday at the conclusion of the snow storm, shoveling took its toll.  Yes, I know, "bend with your knees and not your back", but shoveling eight inches of heavy, wet snow in the freezing rain unfortunately ruins my form. Result: aggravated, sore lower back. I sound older than my parents with that one.

I think the hardest part of going back to the gym, aside from trying to rebuild the habit, is getting back into workouts slowly.  I miss running. And running fast. And training for races. But I've realized since July or August that maybe walking is going to be a lot better for me, even if it is a lot less glamorous and athletic than running.  The pain isn't there after a workout. I know I am putting in the time and working out as part of a healthy lifestyle. I love this feeling good, instead of feeling hurt.

Taking it slow is a challenge to someone so used to competition. I think in the end, and even as soon as the end of the workout, I'm satisfied.  Not quite sure I could have said the same thing after the "go fast" workouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment