Saturday, December 19, 2009

Dreaming of a White Christmas, But Not a White Winter. Also, Snow and Government Work

Do you ever hear reports about bad weather and hope that if you don't actually see anything on television or hear the radio that it may not come true?

Well, for some reason that has been my attitude this week. This nor'easter is blanketing now from the Carolinas north, and even DC is looking at getting up to 6 inches of snow. That is a lot!  I have heard anything ranging from clouds to rain to a few inches to up to 2-3 feet.

While snow is very pretty to watch fall, I despise it when it comes to my driveway and walkways and driving in general. Can you be NIMBY about snow?  We had an 8 inch storm a few weeks ago, and that finished me off for the year. Heavy, wet snow that had to be shoveled in rain.   It could be a long winter.

However, I have to admit that I am childishly excited it will be snowing on Christmas!

......

When I heard that this winter was supposed to be wildly snowy, I cringed.  Not solely because of my opinion toward snow, but more because of the financial drain it is going to be on local municipalities.  In "normal" or "average" winters the snow removal budgets are blasted through, and in a year with large deficits to begin with, it looks like the cuts may have to be a lot deeper.  I've been a fan of small government, but not this locally and at these deep cuts!

Also on the subject of cuts, I recently found out that while the State government is laying off thousands, the DOT is actually hiring, and in some programs actually will be filling positions of more than double the current roles. It is strange occurances like this that make me feel better about Civil Engineering being pretty secure.

No comments:

Post a Comment