Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Real life realizations. Also, an accidental reading list.

I realized yesterday while filing for unemployment that I am starting my fourth week of unemployment.  The thought of being without work that long is a little dizzying, and it has hardly been a vacation. I'd heard rumors of job hunting to be a full time experience.  Those who say so truly mean it.  It is easy to fall into early on during the unemployment "game", as you start to look at postings that have been listed for over a month. As the layoff continues, the energy and excitement and possibilities start to slow down.  There is seemingly not as much opportunity compared to the first few days.

I feel fortunate that I have been educated in a field that is still hiring people. Granted, this hiring is largely predicated by federal stimulus funds, but it is hiring.

I am also curious about the sudden and huge (and the way the media has described it, unexpected) drop in the unemployment rate. I love when they show the underemployment statistics because it shapes the picture a little better.  In that case, it is not as rosy, but the artistry becomes a little more realist and slightly less impressionist.

My reading list is a little long, and I owe the Worcester Public Library a few books.  Most recent reads have been fun and entertaining - smart, but couldn't be classifed as literary. I've come to love Marian Keyes of late, and the current read, The Other Side of the Story, is so far my favorite. I'd read Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married previously.  I thought there was another book, but I must be remembering all of my choices at the WorcPubLib. I've also read Jennifer Weiner recently (Certain Girls) and I had been hoping to read Katherine Graham's autobiography, but that will need to be returned so it can be taken out again. On the side I also have Twilght (I couldn't help but be curious about the hype) and The Great Bridge by David McCullough.  His writing makes me feel like I am on an A Christmas Carol-like adventure watching Roebling work.  It is in the way where I feel as if I am in the scene, but nobody in it feels I am there.  My take-outs today included a book on "toughest interview questions", the only book I haven't read by Alisa Valdez-Rodriguez, Dirty Grils on Top, the book on facebook The Accidental Billionaires, and the Brazen Careerest - The NEW Rules for Success by Penelope Trunk. Penelope Trunk's Brazen Careerist has to be my favorite blog. Of late it has been difficult to identify with as she is discussing working with Asperger's Syndrome, but it IS eyeopening to have sort of a view into someone's world.

Looking to get into a little research in the next few weeks. Learn more about myself and the industry.  Hopefully with some gym time I'll also become a better basketball player! Well, at least against myself, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment