Monday, September 28, 2009

The back story to my career

Declaring a college major at 18 or 19, and essentially influencing the direction of potentially the rest of your life is a pretty scary prospect.  Looking back, I didn't declare my major during B term of freshman year at WPI, I declared it in fifth grade.

My school project (since teachers wanted to encourage exploration and research in areas that were not limited to science, it became a school project) in fifth grade was on roller coasters.  I can't even fathom how I picked that topic. At the time, I was a ten year old scared of just about everything.  We'd taken family day trips with my grandfather to local amusement parks and there wasn't a single non-wooden or -kiddie coaster that I was willing to ride. So there I was in the kid section riding a roller coaster with my six year old brother while my 8 year old sister and mom were off finding the craziest coasters and rides they could.

Researching the history of roller coasters and the modern design, to a level a fifth grader could understand, I picked my college major and future career right there and then.  Who was responsible for bringing roller coasters to life? Engineers.

So, there it is.  The  cheap and dirty way back history of the beginning of my foray into civil engineering. I am sure more will follow on this development.

No comments:

Post a Comment