Thursday, June 18, 2009

I Feel Strangely Like I am Losing a Friend. Brought to You by the Color Green.

I used to love the color green. People thought I loved it because of my high school colors (green and white) or because I am Irish (actually, I am 100% American). I just plain, flat out loved nearly every shade green. The freshness of the mowed lawn in the summer. The color of my favorite childhood vegetable. I was always envious that my mother had green eyes and unfortunately lost out to the dominance of brown eyes. Money. As a pastel, it was springy, comforting, and hopeful, like at Easter.  I had always wanted one of my wedding colors to be a light green paired with some other color like blue or pink or, really, any other color.


But the ubiquity for which I fell in love with the color is now suffocating. "Go Green!" "Green Roof!" "Green your building!" "Green cars!" "Green energy!" "Green grown vegetables!" "Green fuel!" "Green fashion!" "Green running and races!"

Part of this frustration comes from people not actually understanding what exactly "green" is.  Sustainability in environmental and economic terms will change the way we do business and live our everyday lives, without a doubt.  But right not it seems the to be and develop and promote "green" is such a fad. And I am SO over that.

No comments:

Post a Comment