Monday, June 15, 2009

Home projects are a never ending list

I've suddenly had an epiphany that I should get things going on the house. I couldn't pinpoint my urgency until this morning, when I realized that 10 months in I have little accomplished. Two rooms are painted, and my mom has been kind enough to provide the labor on some window coverings. There is a long to-do list coming. I'm attacking the little things as we go along, like weeding and purchasing a grill. Emergency purchases, like a hot water heater and refrigerator, kind of happen on their own. Important projects like replacing gutters and downspouts, adding electricity and heat to the upstairs, repairing the back stairs, and getting a new toilet aren't getting done. The house also badly needs to be power washed. Dad told me 8 to 10 hours a week would be needed to care for the house. I forgot how much time that actually is!

The upstairs project is delaying itself because I can't make up my mind on what I want to do. Should I reinsulate before doing electrical and plumbing work? What kind of flooring do I want? Is the payback existant to rough-in plumbing for a second bathroom? I know I don't have the extra $10,000 for a 3/4 or full bath, but I am curious if there is at least some added selling benefit to existing plumbing.

I know I will accomplish the kitchen painting in the next week or so. I plan on finishing taping tonight and doing a trial priming and painting. I'll call the electrician and let him know I'm still interested in having him do the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment