Monday, June 22, 2009

Dress for who you wish to be, what you want to accomplish

I have a sorority sister I graduated with who is well known for how she dressed. Unlike the rest of us loving jeans, flip flops, and a sweatshirt, or sweatpants, flip flops, and a tee shirt, she was ready to take on the world in dresses, skirts, pretty blouses with skinny jeans, heels, and the works. Make up perfect and jewelry always complimented the outfit. I wouldn't wear the same outfits, but you had to admit that rarely a day went by that she didn't look great.

My favorite thing that she shared about style and fashion was more about self image. When she had a test or wasn't feeling completely confident about the upcoming day for whatever reason, there was a point made to dress it up. Because even if you weren't feeling great to begin with, you at least looked great. And in looking great, you felt better about yourself. It eliminated the vicious cycle. Sure, it would have been comforting to put on those favorite sweats and walk up the hill to class, but then you felt groggy and tired and a little gross (despite clean laundry) and it certainly didn't help your cause any.

My job is a professional one, but it isn't one that always requires professional attire. Jeans are accepted and sometimes encouraged. I make it my point to dress up Mondays, and I think I will look to extend that to the rest of my week(s). When I dress well, I work well. And when I work well, I am happy and confident in my product.

No comments:

Post a Comment