Friday, May 27, 2011

Morning Pastry Review and Tonight's Vegetable Experiment

This morning I had a Chocolate and Creme Tosade from Au Bon Pain.  It was light, and true to the cashier's description, similar to a crossaint.  The pastry was much more compact, so I didn't have to endure a whole lot of puffy lightness.  That to me is worthless calories spent. CCT is very sweet.  So sweet, in fact, I would probably not have it again. The end bites had a light sweetness to it but everything inside of that was a bit much.  If not for the natural sweetness of the watermelon I bought with it and the (free from the office) Lipton decaf tea I had immediately after, I was thinking about brushing my teeth.

Calories: 250
Cost: $2.29 (exclusive of tax)

Calories per cent: 1.092
(I have no clue what this calories per cent ratio will mean... but I feel the need to further evaluate the data.  If you can't create ratios and compare them, what is the point of having data?)
Overall grade: C

I bought frozen brussel sprouts without any idea of how I might prepare them, but I knew I could definitely get some Vitamin C I am lacking.  Except for things like water melons and berries, I much prefer vegetables to fruit.  Juice is too sugary tasting and too many calories. The mircowave does not seem to provide the right preparation methods, but, really, does it ever?  A double boiler doesn't allow for much flavor and I didn't want to cook them in oil all the time.  As much as I love the south (so far), cooking a vegetable in butter or lard a la Paula Deen seems a bit crazy to me. So I found this recipe but might instead wrap everything in aluminum foil. It might go along well with the grilled chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment