Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I like having everything. I don't like choosing.

What do you do when you are passionate about everything? No matter if an article or blog is about personal finance, careers, running, wellness, authors often instruct you to run with what inspires you the most.


My greatest interests often change by the second, where I am, who I am with. For example, a list of things that I have been passionate about this week, and it is only halfway through:
  • Alpha Gamma Delta
  • Mentoring on financial literacy to middle school aged girls
  • Setting career goals
  • Guiding others to achieve success
  • Spreading engineering networks geographically
  • Economic development for Worcester, Massachusetts

 I want to be a civil engineer. A multi-state licensed, project managing, Professional Civil Engineer with a stamp. It’s a career I’ve pursued since a science fair project in fifth grade. In the grand scheme of things, I do very much want to shape American infrastructure, to move the nation and move the world. Sometimes it just isn’t what I want to do the most. What happens to all of my other passions?

My dream position (or combination of responsibilities and positions, perhaps, both professional and volunteer/external?) is one where I can combine:
  • Civil Engineering
  • Business management aspects
  • Education, particularly in science, math, and civics
  • Policy
Maybe someday I can start my own business. Maybe I’ll run a department or division. Maybe I’ll end up quitting engineering and teach. Maybe I’ll run for public office. Maybe I’ll head a national organization. For right now, though I'm content where I am, I know for sure I’ve got to figure out the best way to combine everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment