Saturday, January 16, 2010

It's like Christmas in January!

I have never been so excited for an election, including the ones that I have been heavily involved in.

All over television are campaign ads from each of the two major candidates, their parties, and groups who support certain beliefs extolled by the candidates. Is it overkill and obnoxious?  Admittedly, yes, but a part of me is celebrating inside.

When was the last time that national parties paid attention to Massachusetts?  It certainly has not been during my conscious lifetime. 

We're facing so much history in this election.  First female Senator from The Commonwealth, or first Republican since my parents were in high school?  A supposedly comprehensive first bill for health care reform discussed since....maybe when my grandparents were in high school? And not to be forgotten, this iS a special election to replace the late Senator Kennedy after his 47 years.  Both parties stand to gain and lose so much down in Washington.

Watching the morning news today there was a marked difference between the local ads and where the national organizations stepped in.  They were such stereotypical political ads - the voiceover and images and text.  No creativity or localizing. It was almost as if there is a text book or catalogue of commercials, and all you need to do is "insert candidate", "insert district", "insert office", "if applicable, insert party". 

I am worried about this election.  Firstly, that the right person for our state and nation to be elected.  That is the greatest concern.  Secondly, I am fearful of voter turnout in Worcester and across the state.  Why so much apathy?  Why so much disdain for having to vote?  I have friends who have admitted in recent weeks that they have never registered, never changed when they moved. That is so disappointing. Not to play the woman card, but I have to laugh when I think about these same women being upset 100 years ago that they wouldn't have been able to vote. It is so easy and quick to make a vote. How many places in the world would people be banned from this practice?!  I am very proud of my 100% voting record.  if so few people showed up to an election on a recognized voting day, who and how many will show up Tuesday?

People also tell me they don't vote because they don't like the candidates.  Then vote against them! Putting in a blank ballot or writing in your own candidate shows what you think of the people trying to represent us.  It IS voting against them.

I cannot wait to cast my ballot on Tuesday! Please make sure that you cast yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment